Saturday, February 8, 2014

Fluorescent Lamp and Bulbs nomenclature

Fluorescent Lamp Labeling
For Tube lights:-
There is certain nomenclature which is used while labelling tube lights.
The actual fluorescent tubes are identified by several letters and numbers and will look something like

 'F40CW-T12' or 'FC12-T10'.

So, the typical labeling is of the form FSWWCCC-TDD (variations on this format are possible):

·  F - Fluorescent lamp. 

G means Germicidal shortwave UV lamp.

·  S - Style - no letter indicates normal straight tube; C for Circline.

·  WW - Nominal power in Watts. 4, 5, 8, 12, 15, 20, 30, 40, etc.

·  CCC - Color. 
CW=Cool white, 
WW=Warm white, 
BL/BLB=Black light, etc.

·  T - Tubular bulb.

·  DD - Diameter of tube in of eighths of an inch. T8 is 1", T12 is 1.5", etc.

For the most common T12 (1.5 inch) tube, the wattage (except for newer energy saving types) is usually 5/6 of the length in inches. Thus, an F40-T12 tube is 48 inches long.

For Tungsten lamps:-
There are lamps (bulbs and LED who are available in different sizes and ratings in the market. There are most commonly used bulb sizes with Nomenclature starting with A and thereafter its size. Most commonly used are A15, A17, A19, A20,  A21, A23 . These all sizes are multiple of 1/8th of inch. In Houses most commonly used size was of A19 having 100 W or 125 W rating.

Where A stands for Arbitrary.
Arbitrary Bulbs; A19

There are other models designed according to shapes of bulbs are:-
(i)                 Bulged Reflector:-BR25, BR30, BR38, BR40
bulged Reflector

(ii)               Candle : C6, C7, C9, C11, C15
Candle Shaped lamps

(iii)             Globe: G9, G11, G12, G16, G16.5, G19, G25, G30, G40
Globe Shaped Lamps

(iv)             Quartz Reflector Lamp: MR8, MR11, MR16, MR20
Quartz reflector lamps

(v)               Parabolic Aluminized Reflector (PAR): PAR14, PAR16, PAR20, PAR30 Short or Long Neck
Parabolic Aluminized Reflector Lamps

(vi)             Blown Reflector (R): R12, R14, R16, R20, R25, R30, R40)
Blown reflector lamps

(vii)           Twist:- CFL’s are  known as Twist shaped bulbs.:T2 Coil, T3 Coil, T4 Coil

As stated above there are so many shapes and sizes available in the market but most commonly used are:-A-19, MR16, PAR38 and 40, R-20 , BR-30, CFL – Twister, G-25 and Candelabras
Now above most commonly used shapes and sizes are having following applications in various fields:-
·                     A-19 is most commonly used in houses. This shape is same as it is first discovered by Edison.

·                     MR-16 lamps are used in Kitchens, Architects and have aesthetic looks.
·                     CFL are most widely used and had replaced A-19 bulbs.
·                     G-25 are most widely used in bathrooms
·                     PAR30 and 40 are used in outdoor lighting. They are having higher wattage ratings.
·                     R-20 and BR-30 lights are used in houses and used as flood lights.
·                     Candelabras:- These are  little lights and are used as accent lighting.